“Look, when your birthday is on Christmas, you get completely forgotten about. You know what? Let me paint you a little picture. Early one Christmas birthday morn, I tiptoed down the stairs to find me mum and pop waiting for me. And, lo, besides them ’twas a Christmas gift. ‘Twas an Easy Bake Oven. Well, there was another gift waiting for me–a birthday gift. Was it a sleigh? Hmm! Or a doll who wets herself? No. It was batteries! For the easy bake oven. And boom! My parents ruined my childhood by giving me the dreaded Christmas/birthday combo gift.” -Jane Kerkovich-Williams, Happy Endings
Well, Ho Ho Ho everybody. It was on this day in 336 in Rome that the first documented Christmas celebration took place. However, we’re not going to focus on Christmas today. No, instead we’re going to honor those poor people who were unfortunate enough to be born on Christmas day. Here are a very merry 17 notable people who celebrate their birthday on December 25:
- Physicist, mathematician and astronomer Isaac Newton, born in 1642.
- Red Cross founder Clara Barton, born 1821.
- First coach of the United States men’s national soccer team Thomas Cahill, born 1864.
- Swiss race car driver and founder of the Chevrolet Motor Car Company Louis Chevrolet, 1878.
- Actress, model and “Girl in the Red Velvet Swing” Evelyn Nesbit, born 1884.
- Hilton Hotels founder Conrad Hilton, born 1887.
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not! creator Robert Ripley, born 1890.
- Iconic actor Humphrey Bogart, born 1899.
- Jazz singer-songwriter and bandleader Cab Calloway, born 1907.
- Egyptian president and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Anwar Sadat, born 1918.
- Screenwriter, producer and Twilight Zone creator Rod Serling, born 1924.
- Jimi Hendrix Experience bassist Noel Redding, born 1945.
- Singer and iconic Rolling Stones’ “Gimme Shelter” backing vocalist Merry Clayton, born 1948.
- Actress Sissy Spacek, born 1949.
- Actress C. C. H. Pounder, born 1952.
- Singer-songwriter and Eurythmics frontwoman Annie Lennox, born 1954.
- Singer-songwriter and Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan, born 1957.
- Baseball Hall of Famer Rickey Henderson, born 1958.
Today, take a break from the Christmas merriment and honor these Christmas births with a birthday cake; or even better a Birthday Cake Shot. Nobody’s quite sure how it works, but quickly drinking this combination of liquors and then biting into a sugar coated lemon creates something that tastes just like a birthday cake. It’s a delicious form of alchemy.
Birthday Cake Shot
- 1/2 ounce Frangelico
- 1 ounce Vodka
Run the lemon slice on the edge of a shot glass and then dip both the lemon and glass in sugar. Pour the liquors into the shot glass. Pound the shot and bite the lemon.
Tomorrow: The Curse of the Bambino.